The necessity for CCTV Camera Surveillance
As part of securing your premises and making them attractive to your target clientele, you need to install CCTV cameras to help enhance the security of your premises on a 24/7 basis. As CCTV camera experts, we recommend installing a 16 or 32-channel NVR system in your apartment block (s), controlled housing units or a commercial complex. Surveillance has become a vital issue among many security concerns nationwide.
What is an NVR System?
A Network Video Recorder (NVR) is a computer system that records video footage and stores it on a Hard Disk Drive (HDD), a mass storage device such as MicroSD or USB Stick, or cloud storage. NVRs used in surveillance are paired with Digital Internet Protocol (IP) cameras to create a Video Surveillance system.
At BigTech Solutions, we have many NVR systems you can pick from for your premises. The Hikvision 16 Channel NVR Full Kit is retailing at Ksh 99,000. It Connects to the recorder via Wi-Fi, so there’s no need to run cables between the devices. Perfect for large properties or installations that need to be moved around. Provides a range of up to 40 meters.
Types of NVR Systems
PoE NVRs: this system generally utilises Ethernet ports to connect to PoE cameras. Power over Ethernet (PoE) technology enables wired Ethernet local area networks (LANs) connection. It allows the electrical current necessary for operating each device by Ethernet data cables instead of standard electrical power cords and wiring.
A PoE Switchcritical part of the critical components installed in the NVR system. The PoE Switch is designed to power devices through the ethernet cable. It helps make the installation more professional and presentable, especially if you do not want to see electrical wires messing with your interior décor.
Wi-Fi NVR Systems: they have no camera ports. They are all wireless, connecting to the IP Cameras wirelessly.
Our technicians at BigTech Solutions will advise you on what NVR system to consider and the requirements for each system to get the job done.
Critical Components of NVR System (16 Channel NVR Full kit)
- IP Cameras (up to 16 units)
NVR systems typically use IP cameras. The cameras act as standalone image-capturing devices, each capturing images and audio. These cameras can process video data before transmitting it to the recorder. IP cameras are robust, and capable f recording and transmitting audio-visual data. The advanced hardware on these IP cameras improves intelligent video analytics such as license plate reading, facial recognition, and even zooming in on images without losing clarity.
2K Video Capture
Unlike traditional wireless cameras with low resolutions, these cameras record 2688×1520p video, with twice the detail of even Full HD, at 20fps.
Hikvision High-Resolution Video
Outputs video with over twice the detail of Full HD for recording and viewing on an NVR System.
30m Night Vision
Uses infrared LEDs to record subjects after dark, even in larger outdoor spaces—up to 30 meters of night vision range.
Dome housings keep cameras discreet and are entirely weatherproof, allowing outdoor use.
Hikvision Wide Angle Lens
A 2.8mm lens records everything in a 103° arc before the camera.
Connect the camera to the NVR using the patch cable for a one-time setup; then, the camera uses the CCTV camera over Wi-Fi without a network cable.
Automated Network Recovery
The cameras have a MicroSD card slot, which can be set up as an automated backup in case the recorder loses connection (the MicroSD Cards are bought separately).
Wide Dynamic Range
The setting allows enhanced highlight and shadow sensitivity, automatically adjusting the captured images to eliminate areas of underexposure and overexposure, helping preserve detail in high-contrast lighting conditions such as windows.
They allow using Hikvision’s latest automation features, including line crossing, object removal, and intrusion detection.
Features a built-in MicroSD slot for recording. Supports cards up to 128GB.
Remote access allows you to connect to the camera using an App downloaded on your smartphone.
The IP Cameras that make the NVR system send raw video recordings compressed using H.265+ technology to store higher-quality footage while maximising the available storage space.
The Hikvision IP cameras can capture full-resolution footage whilst simultaneously streaming lower-resolution images to the Digital TV Set, PC Monitor & mobile devices.
Audio & Alarm Inputs
The IP cameras have audio and alarm outputs for recording sound and integration into an existing alarm system.
- Network Video Recorder (NVR)
The 16-Channel Hikvision Network Video Recorder connects to your router and picks up the cameras on your network.
The Recorder enables storage and viewing of 2688×1520p resolution videos.
The NVR systems allow the storage and viewing of footage from the strategically positioned cameras
- Hard Drive Storage (HDD)
Includes your choice of pre-installed hard drive for storing footage. The pre-installed HDD and option for cloud storage
- Ethernet Cables
The NVR system uses standard Ethernet cables such as CAT 5 and CAT 6 to connect the IP cameras to the NVR. Ethernet cables are easier to set up owing to their thin size, shape, cost-effectiveness, and availability compared to coaxial cables.
- HDMI Output
The HDMI output helps you to easily connect the NVR to an HD TV or monitor using a standard cable.
Benefits of NVR Systems
- Higher Storage Capacity: NVR camera systems can upload footage to cloud-based servers – an advantage of an internet connection.
- They are not limited to on-site storage as required for the DVR systems. You can view live cameras or recordings from anywhere worldwide using a downloaded App on your PC, smartphone or tablet.
- NVR Systems have the capability of audio and visual recording
- Provide better image quality.
- Provide better viewing coverage
- They can be wired or wireless, depending on the nature of the site and your preferences (with the technician’s recommendations).
- NVR systems provide better viewing coverage
- Enables netter recognition of peoples’ faces and car license plates due to the ability to capture better image quality
- Make less use of cables compared to DVR systems.
FAQs about NVR Systems
- What is a Network Video Recorder? A computer system that records video footage and stores the data on an HDD, mass storage device or specified cloud storage.
- What kind of cameras do NVRs work with? They are usually paid with digital Internet Protocol (IP) cameras to create a Video Surveillance System.
- Do NVRs work with indoor IP cameras or strictly outdoor CCTV cameras? They work with both indoor and outdoor cameras, which can be strategically placed at various places on your premises for critical angle capture.
- Can the NVR Video Surveillance System be set to raise alarms in response to specific daily activities? Yes. They usually operate 24/7 and can be customised to alert you or the security team of suspicious activity or events to enable immediate action. The IP cameras and NVR System can connect to an existing alarm system and trigger it if well configured and programmed to do so.
- What is an IP Camera used on NVR systems? An Internet Protocol camera is a digital video camera that receives control data and sends image data via an IP network. IP Cameras are commonly used for surveillance and require no local recording device, only a local area network. Analogue CCTV cameras, on the other hand, require a DVR function.
- What are the types of NVR systems available in the security market?
- PoE NVRs: this system generally utilises Ethernet ports to connect to PoE cameras. Power over Ethernet (PoE) is a technology that enables wired Ethernet local area networks (LANs) connection
- WiFi NVR Systems: they have no camera ports. They are all wireless, connecting to the IP Cameras wirelessly.
- What cables are used on surveillance systems that use NVRs and IP Cameras? Ethernet cables (CAT 5 or CAT 6) play two significant functions:
- Power the IP and PoE Cameras
- Transferring data from the cameras to the NVR.
- What shape and form of cameras do the IP come in?
- Bullet cameras
- Dome Cameras
- What is the critical function of the NVR? It receives video footage from the IP cameras through an ethernet connection and store footage for later review. The device has several Ethernet ports and thus can be linked to as many cameras as possible. For example, Hikvision 16 Channel System has an NVR that can be hooked to up to 16 IP Cameras. 8 channel NVR support up to eight cameras.
- How are IP security Cameras connected to the NVR? They are attached using wired or wireless connections. The camera connects to the NVR using an Ethernet Cable for wired connections. For a wireless connection, strong internet and proper configurations are necessary for effective surveillance on PoE NVR System
- How do I stream live video capture from the IP cameras and also see the recorded footage? Upon reaching the NVR from the IP cameras, security footage can be stored or viewed (online or offline). The pre-installed software on the NVR system enables the IP camera system set-up, onboarding, viewing and capabilities. For real-time alerts and search tools, you must involve your technician in installing and managing a Video Management System (VMS).
- Are Cloud-based NVR Systems available in Kenya, and what are the benefits of the same over DVRs and traditional NVRs? The cloud-based NVRs play a similar role to conventional NVRs and DVRs. However, they hold one significant advantage over them: they can be securely accessed anywhere, on a 24hr/7-day basis. All the controls and handling is done remotely via the cloud (reviewing, sharing, and viewing video streams and management). Benefits of Cloud-based NVR systems include:
- Remote Access any day, anytime from your PC, Tablet or Smartphone
- Fewer upfront and maintenance costs, hence more cost-effective
- Easy to scale through increasing IP cameras, sites and persons who access it
- More control on who accesses the security footage
- What IP Cameras by Hikvision are available in Kenya?
- Hikvision DS-2CD2625FWD-IZS Bullet 2MP.
- Hikvision DS-2CD2443G0-IW Fixed Cube Network Camera 4MP.
- Hikvision DS-2CD2145FWD-I Network Dome Camera 4MP
- Hikvision DS-2DE3304W-DE Mini PTZ Dome.
- Hikvision DS-2CD2085FWD-I Bullet Outdoor 8MP.
- Do you do NVR systems security camera packages and installations? BigTech Solutions can survey your premises, make delivery and carry out installations. Engage us on provided contacts or visit the retail outlet in Nairobi CBD.
Alternative NVR Systems at BigTech Solutions
- HIKvision NVR 4 Channel Full Kit
- Hikvision NVR 8 CHANNEL FULL KIT
- PoE 4 Port DS-3E01059-E/M
- HIkVision 4 Channel 4MP Wi-Fi Kit NK44W0H-1T(WD) Bullet IP cameras.